Sunday, July 8, 2007

Update on Transition

After some rockiness earlier this week, Fin has done wonderfully this weekend! She handled many new people at one time today with ease. Not only that, she is starting to use English spontaneously! Yesterday, I handed her something, and she said, "Thank you." Then, today, she was making me a bracelet out of paper. She stepped back to admire her handiwork and said, "Pretty, mama." That was so exciting! She even identified herself as, "Fin" and not by her Chinese name of "Mian Mian" in a photo today. That was the first time she did that without being prompted first.

Of course, tonight she smeared the contents of a tub of lipgloss on herself and my bed. Those standard three-year-old acts of mischief are a relief when I think back to the little girl who, in China, used to stare out of the hotel window and talk to her foster mother.

1 comment:

Debbie and Sam said...

I found your blog on RQ. I work in VA Bch (at a non-profit as well) and we are waiting to travel for our little girl. She will be 3 in October. We are a wee bit nervous about the transition for an older toddler so it was wonderful to see how well fin is doing. If you ever have a moment, I would love to talk to you about the transition that happened in China.

Debbie
www.emasjourney.blogspot.com