Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Network

We had a great, busy day. It started off with a playdate with some other families with children from China. It was organized by a group called, believe it or not, Families with Children from China. I didn't think I was an FCC type of person. I did not join while I was waiting, though they do have programming for waiting families. I hadn't joined these past two years. I guess I thought I wouldn't have anything in common with people just because they have kids from the same country mine is from. As much as I hate to be wrong, I was wrong about this.

I mean, I wasn't wrong about what we have in common. I am sure there is as much diversity of interests and opinions in that group as any other. The thing that makes it special is that everyone knows what you have been through to become a parent to your child. Not that it is harder than child-birth or other adoptions, it is just different and these people know. They know the lingo. They know the special issues you are dealing with/have dealt with. They know the rules, too. No one tries to touch the kids newly home. (Bad for bonding.) No one blinks when your child has a melt-down because you can't understand what they are emphatically saying. No one does a double take when a tall blond woman scoops up a tiny Asian girl. It's just second nature and it's nice. I have also made some friends I would have never met and strengthened a friendship that would have been much harder to maintain otherwise. I feel a bit like that cell phone ad where a whole crowd is following one person to support them. Yep. I've got The Network.

Please to enjoy some photos...

Fin and Elizabeth. The first shot of the day and one of my all time favorites. No editing, just a lucky shot.


Ava has a snack.


Don't you want a snack?


Teamwork.


Just when you thought Ava, Elizabeth, and Fin used up the cute quota, enter Abby. Abby was first up the hill and started a trend.




I don't know where Fin picked up this pose.


Baked ham.



"Did you hear the bio professor wants to move lab to Friday night?"
"Well, she can dissect her own frogs. No way I'm giving up Rocky Horror because she has no life."


Fin taking a picture of Elizabeth taking a picture of Fin. Far out.


Debbie, Elizabeth's mom, was cracking Fin up with a rousing round of "High Five, Down Low, Too Slow!"


Chillin' on the tram.


I wish this had turned out sharper because I love Elizabeth's sweet expression.


We also went to see "Up" this afternoon. I will write more about that later, but for now it is enough to say, "Get thee to a theater." It was so entertaining and moving and beautifully constructed. I don't care if you have young kids, you don't need them to enjoy this movie.

4 comments:

Debbie and Sam said...

We had a wonderful time today as well. I think Elizabeth and Fin have a long road of friendship ahead. I am just glad that until they turn 16 Mommy's get to tag along!!!!

PS. I am stealing pictures!

Abby's Mom said...

Great pictures :) It was nice to meet you all too!

Alyson and Ford said...

Great pictures of the girls.
We enjoy activities with our local FCC including the huge Chinese New Year celebrations. Have fun!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Amy said...

For some reason I'm feeling the need for a group hug and a rousing (yet meaningful) chorus of Kum-ba-yah.

Great post. I think you hit the nail on the head. It's just easier somehow when people get it without the long explanations or when you're not always waiting for the next stupid comment from some well intentioned (or not) person.