Within the past week, I have done a lot of thinking. Maybe it is the finalization of the adoption. I am sure much of it is waiting for Flora's referral. With the arrival of Flora's picture, I couldn't escape the memories, mostly bad, of waiting for Fin. It seemed to take an unfathomable length of time to get to her, and it has increased so much for waiting families since then. Fin was so wanted and waited for, but when I opened the envelope that held her pictures, what I saw was an unfamiliar child who looked rather angry and scared. The daughter in my mind was in motion, always playing or laughing or running. This was a booking photo of a child who didn't understand the changes ready to occur in her life.
I am forever grateful to her foster parents for two packets of pictures showing Fin as a baby and close to her referral time. They show a happy and loved child full of the vivacious spirit that I know.
That is my daughter; the one who rolls her eyes when I sing, laughs loudly and often, and swears she is going to be a "cowboy-girl" when she grows up is in those family pictures, not in that referral picture. But, I can't forget that the difficult transition she made is part of her life's journey, it just will not be the thing that defines her. She is so much more.
Fin's Referral Picture:

Fin in China:


Fin Now:
4 comments:
what an amazing gift to be given those pictures! Even as a toddler, you can see her silly personality! I was telling my husband tonight that I can't see our dreams becoming a reality at this point... which saddens us to no end, but looking at your daughter, gives me hope to keep on keepin' on. Oh! and I saw a little girl at Pei Wei tonight who reminded me of your Fin. She was very bubbly! I heard her dad tell her that he'd be right outside the door, then I heard these little feet march to the next stall. I heard "what's your name?" I answered, and then she asked "are you a boy or a girl?" Her outgoing manner is what I picture Fin like.
what a total american girl she is now!!! She is totally adorable!!
Im iritated because on my blog it shows me when people update their blogs so I can come on and read the new post. Yours only shows you update sometimes so like it has been like a week since my blog showed you updated and you have updated many times since then so I am missing all those posts-- uggg!! Anyway, I will have to remember to check anyway.
Christy :)
So amazing! Aren't these little precious girls just the best thing in our lives?
OK, I concede.... CE will have to wait until next year for his first championship! GO JJ! (AA will have on her CE T-shirt for the Homestead race).
Alyson
I'm afraid that when I eventually get my referral picture, I won't like the kid either. Hopefully she'll turn out as wonderfully spirited and loving as Fin!
Post a Comment