Fin: A-
Mama: C+
Fin did very well in school today! She didn't cry, though I didn't really expect her to. She didn't hit anyone, though I kind of thought she might. She was well behaved but a bit more work for the teacher, Ms. D. Ms. D. said that Fin wasn't really watching the other children for social cues like when to stand in line or sit down. The teacher would take her hand and guide her where to be and she was compliant. It will just be less of a distraction when she can watch the other children and figure out what is going on by herself instead of needing that special attention. I think she will figure it out quickly she just hasn't been in this kind of situation before. She was in foster care without other children her age when she was in China and has had private sitters here, so she is used to being the lone wolf.
Let's see what else. She picked ravioli for lunch, though she has never had it before. She bonded with the little girls in her class, but didn't pay any attention to the Chinese boy. She was last to fall asleep at nap, but she didn't try to get up or make noise. She liked the chocolate cake Ms. D. brought for first day treat. (ARGH! Three months of convincing her carrots and grapes are better than sweets went out the door!) She hugged my leg when I picked her up. She is totally enamoured with the backpack Nancy gave her and even insisted on taking it to the street and mailbox when we walked the garbage can out this afternoon. I am just bursting with pride!
I didn't fair as well. I was so distracted I had to keep reminding myself to focus on the work at hand. I refrained from going to the school and peeking in the window, but only because the phones at work didn't stop ringing long enough. I think tomorrow will be better. The funny thing is, my mom told me a story that I had heard my whole life... but only part of it. Mom has always told me that on the first day of school, I went up the bus steps never to look back and was perfectly fine with the whole thing, but she cried and cried. What I never heard was, as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story. It seems my mom followed the bus to school to make sure I was ok. She probably never told me that before because it wasn't relevant. I would never have understood and would have called her a nutcase. Now, I'm wishing they had a webcam in Fin's classroom!
Sorry no more pics today. I left my camera cable at work. I promise a bunch tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
How wonderful that Fin had a great day. I have only 6 weeks at home with Elizabeth before it will be time for her first day at school. I just dread it! I think a C+ for Mama is pretty good!
Debbie
Post a Comment