Friday, August 31, 2007

First Hurdle Cleared

Today we had a short open house at Fin's school. It began in the library with the other preschoolers. The other children sat in their chairs next to their parents. Fin didn't quite get that concept. She talked while the teacher talked. She slid through the opening between the chair back and seat then loudly declared "TOO BIG!" when her head didn't want to fit. Just as the teacher was explaining why little girls should wear shorts under their skirts because of recess and modesty... Fin demonstrated the reasoning by hooking one leg on either side of the chair and showing the room her bright, green underwear. Ugh. I'm glad I'M not her teacher!

Then, as we were finishing up, we had a turning point. Each child's name was called and they were presented with a folder that will be theirs through the year. It was purple and had her name and a picture of a fish. Each kid got their own icon to identify their stuff until their learn their name. Fin got a fish... imagine that! Anyway, Fin thought she was hot stuff with this purple folder. I didn't get to carry it and, when we were looking around her classroom, she stopped at every table, sat down, and leafed through her folder. It was so cute! She really was excited by the room, too. There were so many things she wanted to play with. When I told her she could come back and play, she said, "YEYEYEYEY!" I hope everything goes that well on Tuesday.

As a final story today, we were watching Barney tonight. At the end of the show, they talk to different children about things they can do or things they like. The kids were doing, "Things I Love". Fin just piped up and said, "I love Grandma, I love pizza, I love puppy." Just out of the blue and none of those were things said by other kids. The things that just pop out of her head are so funny!

Since today was Fin's last at the office, I thought I would revisit all of the fun we have had. By the way, I have never seen two such bummed out men as Henry and Anthony. You would think they had been dumped or something!

Eating yogurt with Saul and Nancy:


Talking Nancy into Wearing a Sombrero:


Succeeding:


Helping Henry vacuum:


Helping Tisha Answer Phones:


Helping Anthony Change a Bulb (note the toolbox at the ready):


"I Love My Yarmulke!":

No comments: