The woman holding the little girl I was going to call Fin kept pointing at me and saying, "Mama." I had sent ahead a book captioned in Chinese with pictures of me, my family, and our home. The little girl shook her head slightly and dismissively. When the organizers joined the two groups, I can't really tell you what happened. I was focusing on appearing fun and non-threatening. I held out a panda bear my aunt had given Fin and a car I bought on a frantic airport shopping spree when I found out she loved toy cars. I know she was anxious. I know she wasn't interested in me. I know that she wanted to leave with the nice lady who was holding her, and with her foster parents, and with anyone else in that room that she even vaguely knew. It was such a short time, way too short. I spoke with her foster parents briefly. They loved her. I was overwhelmed with gratitude and guilt. Then, everyone Mian Mian knew left and it was awful. I hope she will never again know pain like she felt that night and the days that followed.
In the room, she took a short nap, emotionally and physically exhausted. I sat by the bed staring at her face as she slept. I had looked at her pictures for 6 weeks, trying to figure out who she was from these three baby pictures and a recent passport-type photo. Seeing her face move slightly in sleep, watching her breath, I just fell in love.

I don't know how I got so lucky. I would have been fortunate to know this resilient, clever, riotously funny little girl, but to get to be her mom is something that is a blessing, completely undeserved. Two years ago today I met my best friend and she has opened my heart to boundless joy.
I love you, Baby Girl.

14 comments:
You made me cry.
I read your blog off of RQ and normally don't comment (although I really enjoy your take on life!) but I had to comment on this post. Just beautiful! I feel that same blessing about getting to be my son's mom and remember the anxiety meeting him in Korea for the first time. Thanks for posting this!
You know I am sitting here crying - just thinking about what you all went through those first few days and the pain on Fin's face. It made me cry then and it made me cry today thinking about it again. But, to know the wonderful person she has become, because of you, as her mother, and to be able to watch her become that person, has been a blessing. Thank you for bringing her into our lives. We love you both!
You two were meant to be! Believe it or not, Gwen mentions you, Fin, and Alfred the Rhino every night during her prayers. We can't wait to see you guys! Hugs and LOTS of love!
Dana
beautiful!
Beautiful post :)
Well, well, well kiddo. I wasn't with you on this date two years ago and I guess I'm just as happy that I wasn't. You know that I'd have been way too busy trying to make sure you weren't "upset" and messed it all up. HOWEVER, this day certainly is not about me. It's about you and Fin and the family that you've become. You have always been special. You were born intelligent. You developed empathy. You grew to be a person that knows how to enjoy life. I began to value you as much as a friend as I do as a daughter. Then, you changed. Talk of a child. Talk of adoption. Talk of foreign adoption. Then action and I met my daughter the new mother and my rather large new granddaughter at the airport. I shall never forget that scene. Now, you and Fin are a family. All the rules have changed yet again and I just respect and love you more.
dad
Your post was beautiful. You are an incredible mom to Fin. How does the CCAA find just the perfect for children for us. Fin was blessed with someone who has helped her transition into her forever family and you were blessed with an awesome kid. The only thing that topped your post was your dad's comment. That brought me to tears.
You made me cry, too. I can't wait for the day that I get a Fin of my own.
We do have the perfect child for each of us! Happy Anniversary as you pass the two year mark!
Alyzabeth's Mommy for Eight Months
OMG. It runs in the family, doesn't it? Now your dad made me cry, too.
I think it's funny that your dad referred to Fin as his "rather large new granddaughter" - she's so tiny, but a HUGE personality!
Reading the post again, it still makes me cry a little. The two of you are perfect for each other, and both so lucky to have found one another.
First there is when you fall in love with them, but oh so much more awesome is when you realize they have fallen in love with you.
LDW
Teary-eyed here, too. Thanks for sharing your moment with me.
Carol
Post a Comment