The race was supposed to be last night, but was postponed because of Tropical Storm Hanna. Two of the four ticket holders could not go today and we couldn't sell the tickets. So, I took Fin. I thought she would be intimidated, but I didn't realize how much. She was pretty freaked out when we went in. The race was already running and, I swear, it has never been that loud before. We sat for awhile and then I took her below the stands so she could take a break from the noise and take off her ear protection. We talked a little, she said it was a little scary at first, but mostly she didn't like the ear muffs. I told her I couldn't budge on that, but she was 100% happier when we went back up. She played and ate. Nancy and I took a ton of different kinds of snacks... you should have seen her scarfing up a Tupperware of honeydew and cantaloupe. Her favorite part of the race were the cautions. She could hear and be heard and she could point out the "Jimmie Car Johnson" to me... every lap. My favorite part was when that Jimmie Car Johnson won!
I love racing and it holds a special place in my heart. During the long wait for Fin, I threw myself into racing. I was going to four races a year and never missed the races on television. I watched all of the coverage I could, my tv always seemed to be on Speed, and I devoured the racing websites and blogs. I needed something to focus my attention on and it worked. I came out the other side relatively sane. It was so cool to have her share it with me.
Now, go, go 48... three in a row!!!


2 comments:
i totally enjoyed catching up on your blog. it has been a while since I checked in but I will get back onto my normal checking scheule soon!! Love love love the pictures of Fin at Nascar. Shelooks sooo happy. I also love her new shoes for school. They are too cute and the first day of kinder pics were priceless. Glad to finally catch up!
Christy :)
I was going to call you to see if you were there but my cell phone died! I was in Henrico K. I was no way brave enough to take E!
Post a Comment