Friday, January 18, 2008

Busy Week

Monday and Wednesday Fin had swim class. This is going well and she loves being in the water. She is nowhere close to swimming, but she is learning water safety and has a real, nature affection for the water. It is a blast to watch her in class.

That previously lauded 2 inch/4 pound growth spurt made last year's bathing suit a bit too snug, so she is already in the next size up that I bought at the end of last season. I'm not so sure they will last through the summer!

This looks uncomfortably like a Miss America pose to me.


Tuesday brought the winter festival at school. There was a spaghetti dinner and tons of game and prizes. She had a blast and somehow managed to avoid getting trampled in the packed hallways.

She wasn't so sure about the face painting.


She was thrilled to win a lollipop at the cake walk! The giant lollipop ended up being bigger than her mouth and she quickly became frustrated and threw it in the trash. However, the thrill of victory lingered.


But, the favorite part was the hot cocoa. She misunderstood a bit when she was offered a bowl of mini marshmallows to put in her cocoa. She had poured about 1/3 of her cocoa into the marshmallow bowl before I could grab it.


We also had some light flurries on Tuesday. I zipped her up to take her outside and she insisted on taking along an Israeli flag she had found (I work for a Jewish organization). Now, the sight of this little Chinese girl in a fireman's coat, dancing in the snow with an Israeli flag was... well, rather David Lynch. I almost expected her to start talking backwards.


Today we made it to the zoo with only 20 minutes left. We had just enough time to feed her goat friends, who she insists are "puppies".


This is a video of Fin feeding the goats today. It is really a tribute to her teacher, Ms. D. As you can imagine, teaching preschool is like training a cat. Ms. D is big in an orderly classroom. Here you can see Fin utilizing positive peer pressure to make sure all of the goats are lined up properly before anyone gets snack. Now, if she starts exclaiming, "My-lanta!", I will know she is channeling Ms. D.

1 comment:

Special K said...

OMG! I love the little pointy finger at the goats and how she lectured them with her hands behind her back like a little dictator. Thanks for the smile this morning.