But, it has probably been 25 years since I went to the circus and I really didn't know what to expect. I live in the land of PETA, so there is no way you can buy your circus tickets without guilt. I have seen Cirque du Soleil, a circus with enough talent to enthrall the older and more jaded audience. Was there any magic left in the circus for me?
We were going to find out. I took Fin and her friend, K, to the Ringling Brothers circus today. We found our seats just as the lights were lowered, "Ladies and gentlemen!" boomed the ringmaster and from behind the bandstands poured dozens of performers. There were stilt walkers, dancers, gymnasts... then came the horses, prancing around the arena wearing their feathered headpieces. They were so beautiful; all glossy coats and proud necks. Finally, out came the elephants, some with girls riding them, all of them holding the tail of the elephant in front. I was cheering and clapping and even tearing up a little. Oh, it was just as good as I remembered.
I loved it. I loved it all. I loved the sequin-laden costumes that seemed to change every ten minutes. I loved the guy who was set on fire and launched off of the enormous crossbow while men dressed like Mayan priests at a Pride parade carried torches around the arena. I loved the three simultaneous rings of equestrian acts including the zebras who seemed to forget the act and jumped the edge of the ring only to look confused as to where their herd had gone. I loved the "Strongmen from Uzbekistan" (which sounds better, if not as truthful, as "Fat Guys from Trenton"). I loved the gymnast who tumbled the length of the floor wearing a flame colored, ankle length dress that made her look like a goddess. I loved the thick-bellied tigers who moved in slow motion and lazily bat the tails of the tiger next to them. I even loved the new breed of clown; less creepy makeup, more electric guitar. It was fabulous and kind of cheesy, but only in the way they tried so hard to make sure everyone had a good time. I am so glad I went.
Oh, and I think the girls enjoyed it, too.

8 comments:
You write fantastically! (Even if it was a bit of a spoiler for our trip next weekend.)
I am so happy you went and enjoyed yourself. It has probably been about the same amount of time since I visited a circus. but your enthusiasm has given me hope. BTW, you made me chuckle with the "Fat Man from Trenton!"
Yes, yes, and yes! There is nothing quite like the circus. I love everything about it, but prefer the single ring circus to multi-ring. If I could be anything in the world, free from worrying about whether or not I made any money, or any of those pesky responsible thoughts, I would be in the circus. Looks like you all had a great time!
Ruby
Thanks for the comment you left on Ellie's blog. We always look forward to your encouraging words. We haven't taken Ellie to the circus yet, but because my memory is as bad (or worse) than yours I bought the video they sold for a thousand dollars (or something like that) last time I took our other kids because I enjoyed myself so much!
Hey! Why nothing since April? We need a "Fin Update". I hope everything is OK and that you had a great Christmas.
Hey! Why no updates since the circus? I am getting worried. I hope you all are OK.
It has been a while since I visited. Hope you will update before 2013! Still loved seeing the photos of your girls.
Alyzabeth's Mommy
Courage jusqu'à Vendredi ;-)
Suis dans les bonnes résolutions, les envies de cuisine saines...et de Zen... bref, ta recette me tente bcp et me parle bien !
Dis, c'est quoi le Garam massala
Des bises !
Agnès
restaurant vannes http://restaau.fr/Search/City/restaurant-a-vannes.html
Post a Comment