This year, we watched Mulan with our panda bears, then went to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Hey. It was something.
Monday, January 26, 2009
It's the Spring Festival!
... or Chinese New Year, or now the Year of the Ox. There are many traditions associated with this day. We didn't do any of them. I really need to get cracking on some of the cultural stuff now that Fin is old enough to understand and remember. I think the real problem is that I feel like a poser. I am the pasty American pretending like I have any idea what the importance of the holiday is. I have a book and Wikipedia, not an entire childhood of memories to draw from. I promise to work on it, though, and next year I will be better. Really, I will.
This year, we watched Mulan with our panda bears, then went to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Hey. It was something.



This year, we watched Mulan with our panda bears, then went to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Hey. It was something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Just wait until you try to eat a mooncake. You would have to be a great actress to pull off a "Yum, Yum face" for that celebratory cake.
OMG, Bonnie is so right. I ate my first mooncake in China last year preparing for the Year of the Rat. Boy, what a disappointment. Was that thing ever nasty.
Steal away on my home decor idea. We went to Oriental Decor on Lynnhaven (right outside the mall) where all the Ox statues just happen to be marked down 50% right now.
And hey, you actually had Chinese food so I figure you're one up on us this year.
I think you had a fine celebration! Enjoy!
Alyzabeth's Mommy
We got red envelopes to school to help everyone else celebrate. Poor Elizabeth just had some take out egg drop soup. I guess I need to step it up a bit too. Oh yeah, we did have a red lantern bought in china hanging from the fan. Pretty sad :)
Bonnie & Amy - there are different types/flavors of moon cake. You might have gotten one of the grosser ones. Some of them are yummy, although I suppose it may be an acquired taste.
Keep in mind that most CNY celebrations are more about spending time with friends and family and eating lots of good food. So, you probably have more "experience" than you think! :-)
You can try to do some of the superstitious stuff, but if you don't really believe in superstitions, then they're just silly, and sometimes demanding, rituals. You and Fin are a new blended family, creating your own culture and traditions. :-)
Your celebration sounds fine.
More fun than what Anna and I did. Down some cough/cold medicine and sleep. It's been a banner new year for us.
Julie Anne
(Love the next to last picture.)
Totally my kind of celebration (and I'm half-Chinese). :-)
tori
Post a Comment