Sunday, October 26, 2008

Our Weekend

Well this was the kind of weekend I imagined as I waited for my daughter. Saturday, we went to a birthday party for Empress Elizabeth. Kids birthday parties. In a few years I will probably be saying, "Egads! Another one? What, they have a birthday every year?" But, for now, it is a real treat.

Elizabeth's party included tons of food, including a delicious cake, outside play, crafts, and a pinata. Fin had never seen a pinata before and she thought it was a great idea; you get to hit something without getting in trouble and you get candy at the end. Yippee!

Riding a car with a helpful push from the older kids:


Knocking back a shot of Nerds:


A blustery day allowed for what Fin called, "kite flying":



Elizabeth turned four and what a terrific four she is. She runs fast and talks a lot and loves eating potato chips. That may not seem like something to note, but when Elizabeth came home a little over a year ago, they were things that were difficult for her. It has taken a lot of love, attention, and pushing on the part of her parents to see this blooming in Elizabeth. She could not have ended up in a better family.

It reminds me how lucky I am that Fin was in a foster family who cared for her as if she was their daughter forever. It was a hard separation for everyone and I have many emotions of gratitude and guilt and jealousy wrapped up in that relationship that Fin has with her foster family. It was still the best possible start in life for my daughter and I shouldn't forget that.

So, one of my favorite moments of the day was when Elizabeth came riding into the backyard on her electric jeep. Two of the older girls were walking in on either side of her... it was like the Rose Parade queen and her court were entering. She's so cute.


Sunday was an easy day. We spent the afternoon on my bed watching the race and reading and having tickle fights and making up stories and playing with cats. At one point Maggie crawled up onto the pillow and made herself comfortable. I got the camera to take a picture and Fin pulled Charlie's cat bed up where we were so that we could get a family portrait.


Since I have been neglecting the blog lately, here a few pictures you missed...

Riding the train with "Engineer Brandon":


Barging in as I was taking a picture of my friends' children:


Pony ride at a small town festival:


"Watching" a race (just like her grandpa):


Mismatch day at school:

No comments: