Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Adjustment Observation

Fin is really doing well adjusting to her new life. I have been surprised. I have also been surprised at how she has clung to one vestige of her former life and that is her name. When she self-identifies either in pics or in the mirror, she calls herself by her Chinese name, "Mian Mian". If I laugh and say, "No, that's Fin," she will reiterate that it is, in fact, Mian Mian. I can't push it any further or she gets mad.

Now, she knows her name is Fin, she responds to it and will point at herself if I look at a picture and ask where Fin is, but when asked who she is, it is Mian Mian.

I keep thinking of that scene in about every overblown war movie where the captured solider will only give his name, rank and serial number no matter what manner of coercion is used.
I'm not overly concerned, but I do feel for her that she still has that strong of a feeling for her old life. She must be mourning it more than is visible.

No comments: